Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Finished Project - "Drive Me Dotty" Dress


Wow. This has been a loooooong project! I didn't start making it until earlier this year, but sources tell me I first posted about the possibility of making this dress in September last year for the Sew Weekly "Fall Colour Palette" challenge. Hmmm. I remember also thinking I might get it done in time for the UFO challenge this year....

Well, as I mentioned last week, it IS actually finished, and I even managed to get some photos of it on me! Here's what you need to know:


Fabric: Some sort of slinky synthetic, from an op-shop in Canberra ($4.50)
Pattern: Butterick 6730 from the 1970's, View B (50c)
Features: Faux-wrap front, gathers at shoulder seams, elastic waist, and, most importantly, pockets!
Alterations: I chopped off about 6 inches from the skirt length. Next time, I'd add a couple inches to the bodice length.
Notions: Elastic for the waist (cut from an old fitted sheet!)
Total price: $5.00



Overall I'm pretty happy. It is not perfect! The fabric is static-y and cling-y, the gathering on the shoulders is not even, and the bodice is a bit short, so every time I lift my arms up the elastic waist jumps up onto my ribcage, and I'm forever pulling it down again. I'm happy with the pattern though, it is a very simple dress to make, with no closures, and the wrap part doesn't even gape! (Maybe because of the shortness of the bodice though!!)


Next time I should remember to pose like the girl on the pattern envelope, for a comparison shot!


3 comments:

  1. Cute, cute, cute. I love your version and the picture with the vintage sewing machine is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is SUPER cute! The style really suits you and I love the mock-wrap front :) You gotta love it when no closures are required. It's pretty amazing that this dress only cost $5 to make!

    ReplyDelete