Wednesday, 8 November 2017

The Drape of My Heart Top

This top is another attempt to bulk up my wardrobe of work appropriate tops. It is the "Long blouse" from the June issue of Burda, altered to remove the sleeves and shorten the length.


I used a slippery, silky polyester from Lincraft. I love the colors in this print! The olive and orange/yellow tones aren't colors I wear often, but I would like to add more items in these colours to my wardrobe.
The details:
Fabric: Silky polyester from Lincraft
Pattern: #101 (Long blouse) from the June issue of Burda
Size: 38
Special touches and alterations: Removed sleeves, shortened length
 
The fabric was a bit of a pain to work with. It likes to shift and slip, so cutting took longer than usual. And despite me using fine silk pins and a new fine microtex needle, I still managed to put some tiny pulls in the fabric! Luckily they aren't very noticeable. I finished the seams on my overlocker in black thread. The neckline and armholes are finished with bias tape made from the fabric. 
I made a size 38, which is my usual for Burda. It came out quite wide and drapey, which is to be expected for the shape they were going for for this top, but wasn't ideal for the sleeveless variation. Even though I used the arm hole from another pattern for a sleeveless top, the armholes are quite gapey due to the width of the top in that area. I could probably have sized down. 
Even with the gaping, it is completely wearable, even for work, and I especially love the pleated back, which has almost a cape-like feel. I'm glad I tried this one out!

2 comments:

  1. Such a pretty fabric and an unusual silhouette for a top. A great work-wardrobe item!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it! Thank you, I have been getting lots of wear out of it so far :)

      Delete