Wednesday, 31 January 2018

The Lavender and Lace Set


Would this even be my blog if there wasn't another Ohhh Lulu lingerie set every few weeks? :P I had had the Jasmine bra on my "to-make" list for a while, but was really spurred into action when Sarah released the update with the cute lace back feature. I had had something similar pinned on a Pinterest board for a while, so I had to go for it! She also released the Ultimate Lace panties pattern around the same time, and, well... I can't resist a matching set!


The details:
Fabric: Lycra and mesh dyed with "silver gray" and "hyacinth" acid dye by Dharma, and this smokey lilac lace from MintFrog on Etsy
Notions: Elastics and strapping from Booby Traps; rings, sliders and G-hook from sewingcraftnotions on Etsy
Pattern: Jasmine bra and Ultimate Lace panties by Ohhh Lulu
Size: S in the Jasmine and M in the Ultimate Lace
Special touches and alterations: Added lace to the front cup pieces and around the hook and eye of the bra.
I made a small mistake and didn't cut the back lace pieces on the bra big enough, but I think it still looks alright. I love bra designs like this that you can wear with low-backed tops to add a bit of interest! I decided to add a bit more of the lace to the back band of the bra on either side of the hook and eye, and to the front cup pieces. To do this, I just lay the lace on top of the already cut pattern pieces, and used a narrow zig-zag to attach the lace, stitching all the way around the edge and following the scallops. I love the way this looks! I think I got the idea for the back lace position from one of Beverly's Craftsy bra-making classes which I bought one time while they were on sale (they seem to be on sale every second week!).
This was another adventure in dying. When I was first getting into bra-making, I bought a bunch of lace from MintFrog's Etsy shop as I loved the selection there and shipping was relatively cheap to Australia! After they had arrived I went to the Dharma website and basically bought a dye to match each colour of lace I had bought. This has worked out pretty well for me! For this lace (which is described as "smokey lilac") I couldn't decide between the silver grey or the hyacinth colour from Dharma, so I bought both. In my initial dying attempt I tried half of each colour but it ended up WAY too bright and purpley. The second time around I went with mainly grey and just a pinch of the hyacinth, and that seems to have been pretty spot on!
I have found both the patterns to be comfortable, the Ultimate Lace pattern surprisingly so, as I thought the shape may cause a lot of riding up! Luckily this was not the case, and this is probably my new favourite lace panties pattern. I guess it lived up to its name! :)


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The subtle colour makes this so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the colour and is actually works really well under light coloured clothing, doesn't show through :)

      Delete
  2. You are inspiring me to hop in and start making lingerie. This is beautiful fabric and a beautiful job of sewing up something very special. Keep the pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie! It is really worth it, so much fun!!

      Delete
  3. Your Jasmine bra is inspiring! I really love the sophistication of the lace placement in the front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had some lace left over after cutting everything out so i had to find some ways to use it :)

      Delete
  4. This set is a beauty!!! I am not surprised you have fallen in love with the color creation process. It becomes a fun part of the making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep, I love dying, always a surprise to see how things turn out!

      Delete